Hicham El Masry, M.D., FHRS
Cardiovascular Disease, Electrophysiology
Dr. El Masry is Board Certified in Clinical Electrophysiology, Cardiovascular Disease, and Internal Medicine. He completed his Cardiac Electrophysiology fellowship, Chief Cardiology fellow, Cardiology fellowship and his Internal Medicine residency at Indiana University. Dr. El Masry earned his Doctorate of Medicine and completed his undergraduate education from American University of Beirut, where he graduated with Highest Distinction and Honors.
Dr. El Masry specializes in the treatment of cardiac rhythm disorders including ablation therapy of various arrhythmias including supra ventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation and flutter, and ventricular tachycardia. His expertise also includes device therapy of arrhythmias including pacemaker, defibrillator and biventricular device implantation.
Prior to joining Tri-City Cardiology in 2016, Dr. El Masry worked as an Electrophysiologist at Saint Vincent Medical Group in Marion, IN where he performed a significant number of ablation and device implantation procedures. He consults at the Dobson and Gilbert offices.
Medical School- American University of Beirut
Internship- American University of Beirut
Residency- Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN
Fellowship- Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN
Recognition & Awards/Research/Publications
- 2003 Alpha-Omega-Alpha award (the American University of Beirut chapter).
- 2005 Winner of the ACP-Indiana research competition.
- 2006 Best Chairman’s conference award (IU-internal medicine.)
- 2007 Charles Kenner, MD Memorial Award for Outstanding Fellow at the IU School of Medicine.
- 2009 Winner of the ACC-Indiana Chapter research competition and oral presentation (Nov 2009).
- 2012 Distinguished physician and friend of Nursing Award (Marion General Hospital).
- El Masry H, O’Donnell J. Fatal Strongyloides Stercoralis in heart transplantation: a case report. The Journal of Heart and Lung transplantation. 2005 Nov; 24(11):1980-3.
- Michael M, El Masry H, Khan B, Das M. Electrocadiographic signs of remote myocardial infarction. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2007 Nov-Dec;50(3):198-208.
- Das M, Saha C, El Masry H, Peng J, Dandamudi G, Mahenthiran J, McHenry P, Zipes DP. Fragmented QRS on a 12-lead EKG: a predictor of mortality and cardiac events in patients with coronary artery disease. Heart Rhythm. 2007 Nov; 4(11):1385-92.
- El Masry H, Yadav A. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Expert Reviews in Cadiovascular Therapeutics. 2008 Feb; 6(2):249-60.
- Mahenthiran J, El Masry H, Teague S, Shahriari A. Inflammatory aortitis with coronary arterial involvement by multidetector cardiac computed tomography. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed tomography. 2008 Jun; 2(4):276-80.
- El Masry H, Breall J. Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Current Cardiology Reviews. 2008 Aug; 4(3):193-97.
- Kamalesh M, Ng C, El Masry H, Eckert G, Sawada S. Does diabetes accelerate progression of calcific aortic stenosis? European Journal of Echocardiography. 2009 Aug; 10(6):723-725.
- Antoun P, El Masry H, Breall J. Sudden cardiac death complicating alcohol septal ablation: a case report and review of literature. Cardiac catheterization and cardiovascular intervention. 2009 Jun; 73(7):956-59.
- Antoun P, El Masry H, Breall J. Rebuttal: Sudden cardiac death complicating alcohol septal ablation. Cardiac catheterization and cardiovascular intervention. 2009 Sep; 74(3):522.
- Das MK, El Masry H. Fragmented QRS and other depolarization abnormalities as a predictor of mortality and sudden cardiac death. Current opinion in Cardiology. 2010 Jan; 25(1):59-64.
- El Masry H, Miller J. How to localize ventricular tachycardia using 12-lead ECG (Book Chapter). Chapter 33. Hands-On Ablation: The Experts’ Approach 2013.